Correspondence and papers, with some related family letters, 19th-20th cent., of Sibyl, Lady Colefax. The collection includes letters from many of the literary and society figures of her day, some personal and family papers, a few diaries of Lady Colefax, her visitors' books, and a number of photograph albums.
Papers of Sibyl, Lady Colefax (1874-1950), with some related family letters, 1851-1988
- For more information, email the repository
- Advice on accessing these materials
- Cite this description https://archiveshub.jisc.ac.uk/data/gb161-mss.eng.a.2011,c.3159-89,c.3272,d.2388-2404,d.2419,e.2751-8;photogr.a.4,b.10-11,c.25-30,d.4-5
- This material is held at
- ReferenceGB 161 MSS. Eng. a. 2011, c. 3159-89, c. 3272, d. 2388-2404, d. 2419, e. 2751-8; Photogr. a. 4, b. 10-11, c. 25-30, d. 4-5
- Dates of Creation1851-1988
- Language of MaterialEnglish.
- Physical Description70 shelfmarks
Scope and Content
Administrative / Biographical History
Sibyl, Lady Colefax (1874-1950), wife of Sir Arthur Colefax (d 1936), was a society hostess, and co-founder of the firm of Colefax & Fowler.
Conditions Governing Access
Entry to read in the Library is permitted only on presentation of a valid reader's card (for admissions procedures see http://www.bodleian.ox.ac.uk/specialcollections)
Given by Mrs. M. Colefax, 1991-3.
Collection level description created by Emily Tarrant, Department of Special Collections and Western Manuscripts.
Other Finding Aids
A catalogue of the collection is available online at http://www.bodleian.ox.ac.uk/specialcollectionswmss/online/online.htm.
Kirsty McLeod, A Passion for Friendship, Sibyl Colefax and her Circle (London, 1991) is based partly on these papers.