- General operational correspondence and documentation, 1975-1993;
- National Union of Rail, Maritime and Transport Workers (RMT) correspondence, 1980-1992;
- Adjustment of general and particular average per managed ship Grey Hunter, 1981;
- Grey Hunter general arrangement plan, c1974;
- Photographs - managed ships, 1975-c1980s;
- Brochures and leaflets, 1974-c1989;
- Merchant Shipping Notices, 1970-1993;
- Instructions issued to sea staff, 1987-1991;
- Benmarine Company Circular Folios, 1990-1992;
- Ship stationary, c1970s-1991;
- Photocopy of address book, c1970s-1992;
- East Asiatic Company handover documentation, 1991-1993.
Records of Benmarine Limited, shipping company, Edinburgh, Scotland
- For more information, email the repository
- Advice on accessing these materials
- Cite this description
- This material is held at
- ReferenceGB 248 UGC 199/4
- Dates of Creation1970-1993
- Name of Creator
- Language of MaterialEnglish
- Physical Description1.7 linear metres
Scope and Content
Administrative / Biographical History
Benmarine Limited has its origin in Ben Line Ship Management Ltd, incorporated in 1972. This was a joint venture between Ben Line and Galbraith Wrightson Ltd who were specialists in insurance, ship sale and purchase, broking, shipping finance and research. Ben Line Ship Management provided crewing, superintending and operational services for shipowners. During this time it managed ships including : Vianna, Grey Fighter, Grey Hunter, Grey Warrior and Jeddah Crown.
In 1987 the company was renamed Benmarine Limited, and its remit expanded to include marine consultancy and commericial management and finance as well as ship management. At this point in 1987, the management of the Ben Line Group of companies appears to have been passed to Benmarine with the Lloyd's shipping register showing a change from Wm Thomson & Co as owners and managers of the Ben Line fleet to Benmarine Limited assuming these roles.
In 1992 Benmarine oversaw the sale and transfer of technical management of all of the Ben Line Group's assets, including remaining container ships, to The East Asiatic Company Limited. At this point the company ceased to operate, and it was formally dissolved in 2000.
The description of the Records of the Ben Line Group Limited is divided into the following sections, each with its own separate description:
- UGC 199/1, Records of Wm Thomson & Co
- UGC 199/2, Records of The Petrograd Steamers Limited
- UGC 199/3, Records of The Ben Line Steamers Limited
- UGC 199/4, Records of Benmarine Limited
- UGC 199/5, Records of Ben Line Containers Limited
- UGC 199/6, Records of Ben Odeco Limited
- UGC 199/7, Records of Atlantic Drilling Company Limited
- UGC 199/8, Ben Line Group records
The arrangement of this material reflects the original order in which it was received
Some files in this collection are subject to Data Protection legislation as they contain sensitive information. These records will not be fully accessible to the public until 100 years from the date on each file. However, they may be accessible to bona fide researchers and academics. Please contact the Duty Archivist for advice on how to apply for access to these files. Contact details are as follows: Duty Archivist, Archive Services, University of Glasgow, 13 Thurso Street, Glasgow, G11 6PE.
Gift : E G Thomson (Holdings) Ltd : June 2013 : ACCN 3773
Gift : E G Thomson (Holdings) Ltd : February 2013 : ACCN 3744
Transfer : Edinburgh University Library : June 2006 : ACCN 2949
Other Finding Aids
Digital file level list available in searchroom
Alternative Form Available
No known copies
Physical Characteristics and/or Technical Requirements
None which affect the use of this material
Conditions Governing Use
Applications for permission to quote should be sent to the Archivist.
Reproduction subject to usual conditions: educational use and condition of documents
This material has been appraised in line with standard GB 248 procedures
All Materials held by Ben Line Group Limited until it was wound down in 2000. Thereafter transfered to and held by E G Thomson (Holdings) Ltd until deposit at GUAS, with exception of ACCN 2949, containing voyage account books and voyage account boxes, which were held by Edinburgh University Library until transfer to GUAS in 2006.
Location of Originals
This material is original
Description compiled in line with the following international standards: International Council on Archives, ISAD(G) Second Edition, September 1999and National Council on Archives, Rules for the construction of personal, place and corporate names
Scotland is the location of all place names in the administrative/biographical history element, unless otherwise stated.
Fonds level description compiled by .