The University of Durham Department of Geology's teaching collection of lantern slides on geological subjects. The collection was built up by successive members of staff, particularly Prof. Arthur Holmes, Professor Lawrence R. Wager, and Professor (later Sir) Kingsley C. Dunham, to support the teaching activities of the department. See further under Arrangement.
University of Durham Department of Geology Lantern Slide Collection
- This material is held at
- ReferenceGB 33 GLS
- Dates of Creationca.1924-ca.1962
- Name of Creator
- Physical Descriptionca. 2,500 slides.
Scope and Content
The collection is at present in the order in which it was received from the department, in four sections:
- The general departmental collection, arranged in thematic groups (34 drawers).
- Slides labelled Prof. Wager? (1 drawer)
- Prof. Dunham's slides (1 drawer of slides for 1st year teaching, and 24 drawers of thematic groups)
- Two large cartons containing small boxes of glass negatives (3.5 x 4.5 in.), possibly the negatives from which many of the slides were made. With rough indication of contents marked in ms on the edges of the boxes.
Open for consultation.
Deposited by the Department of Geology, 1993 (accession Misc. 1993/94:18).
Other Finding Aids
This collection description; summary list of sections and groups.
Conditions Governing Use
Permission to make any published use of material from the collection must be sought in advance from the Sub-Librarian, Special Collections (e-mail PG.Library@durham.ac.uk) and, where appropriate, from the copyright owner. The Library will assist where possible with identifying copyright owners, but responsibility for ensuring copyright clearance rests with the user of the material.
Collected between 1924 and the early 1960's