Fieldwork notes from Nadel's Nupe and Nuba tribal studies; diaries and papers from his time in Ethiopia and Eritrea; material relating to Nadel's lectures and papers, including draft articles, correspondence and offprints; and photographs from Nadel's expeditions.
NADEL, Siegfried Frederick, 1903-1956, anthropologist
- This material is held at
- ReferenceGB 97 NADEL
- Dates of Creation1934-1955
- Name of Creator
- Language of MaterialEnglish German
- Physical Description19 boxes
Scope and Content
Administrative / Biographical History
Siegfried Nadel, 1903-1956, was born in Vienna. His early studies were in philosophy, psychology and music, but he later turned to anthropology. In 1932, he was granted a fellowship by the International Institute of African Languages and Culture. He became a postgraduate student of the London School of Economics Department of Anthropology. In 1938, he was appointed as Government Anthropologist in the Sudan, to investigate the Nuba tribes. From 1942 to 1945, he served in the British Military Administration in Eritrea and, in 1945, he became Secretary for Native Affairs to the British Military Administration in Tripolitania. In 1946, he became Senior Lecturer in Anthropology at LSE and, in 1948, he became Reader in Anthropology at Durham. In 1950, he was appointed Professor of Anthropology and Sociology at the Research School of Pacific Studies at the Australian National University.
This collection is arranged in 16 sections:
1. Nupe: Field notebooks, first series, 1934.
2. Nupe: Field notebooks, second series, 1935-1936.
3. Nupe: Field diaries, 1936.
4. Nupe: Notes on the Nupe and Gwani languages, 1934-1936.
5. Nupe: Field notebooks, series L, 1934-1936.
6. Nupe: Field note files and drafts, c1934-1940.
7. Nupe: Experiments on culture and personality, Nupe and Yoruba, 1936 and 1950s.
8. Nuba: Field notebooks, first series, 1938-1939.
9. Nuba: Field notebooks, second series, 1939-1940.
10. Nuba: Field notebook, extra series, 1941.
11. Nuba: Field diaries, 1938-1940.
12. Nuba: Field notes, 1938-1941.
13. Nuba: Diary/Account books, 1938-1940.
14. Ethiopia and Eritrea: Diaries and papers, 1941-1943.
15. Lectures and papers, c1947-1955.
16. Photographs, c1934-1946.
Other Finding Aids
Printed handlist and online catalogue available.
Output from CAIRS using template 14 and checked by hand on May 29, 2002
Conditions Governing Use
COPYRIGHT IS HELD BY THE LIBRARY.