- Air displays: mainly programmes c1950s-2004
- Aircraft manufacturers [2 boxes]: mainly publicity brochures c1960s-2004
- Aircraft preservation [society journals, leaflets etc] 1960s-2004
- Airline in-flight magazines [2 boxes]: (a separate spreadsheet database of this collection will shortly be available on-line) 1990s-2004
- Airlines and airliners: timetables, ephemera etc 1960s-2004
- Aviation in Scotland: pamphlets, photocopies, ephemera, air display programmes etc 1950s-2004
- Aviation museums: publicity leaflets, guidebooks etc; mainly UK, some overseas 1950s-2004
- BOAC/BEA/British Airways: pamphlets, reports, timetables, ephemera 1950s-2004
- British Midland Airways: timetables, ephemera, publicity leaflets CIOS reports: a small number of aviation related titles only Enthusiast society publications: registers and production lists [4 boxes] 1980s
- Glasgow Airport, BAA donation: reports, technical and general publications from the office of the former Managing Director of BAA Glasgow. A catalogue of material in this collection will shortly be available on-line 1990s
- Models : box-top illustrations, leaflets etc 1960s
- Naval aviation: pamphlets, publicity materials etc, mainly Royal Navy (Fleet Air Arm) 1970s
- Newspaper supplements: miscellaneous supplements from the Financial Times, Times etc 1960s and 1970s
- RAF post-1945: pamphlets, recruitment, publicity etc material 1950s
- RAF and military aviation before 1945: pamphlets, illustrations 1939-1945
- Miscellaneous [5 boxes] 1950s
Records of Aeronautical History, c.1939-2004
- For more information, email the repository
- Advice on accessing these materials
- Cite this description https://archiveshub.jisc.ac.uk/data/gb605-dc/1998/001
- This material is held at
- ReferenceGB 605 DC/1998/001
- Dates of Creationc.1939-2004
- Name of Creator
- Language of MaterialEnglish
- Physical Descriptionc.8.0 metres
Scope and Content
Administrative / Biographical History
The aeronautical collection contains more than 3,500 items, comprising books, pamphlets, illustrations models, ephemera and other documents relating to all aspects of the history of aviation. Individual items are assembled in a separate database which may be consulted at the University Library and which is accompanied by a purpose-designed thesaurus. Books and pamphlets are, for the most part, included (with less detail than in the aviation database) in the Library's public catalogue. Individual lists and bibliographies of particular aspects of the collection have been, or are being, compiled and are indicated in the list of sub-components of the collection below. In this list, approximate numbers of volumes are quoted for book collections while archival documents comprise a single box except where indicated otherwise.
The arrangement of this material reflects the original order in which it was received.
Conditions Governing Access
Donated by the Chief Librarian, Stuart James, 1998
Other Finding Aids
Data about collection held on University of the West of Scotland, Robertson Trust Library, Special Collections catalogue http://www.uws.ac.uk/schoolsdepts/library/specialcollections/.
Alternative Form Available
No known copies
Fonds level description compiled by Andrew Thomson, Hub Project Archivist, 13 October 2004.
Conditions Governing Use
Applications for permission to quote should be sent to the Chief Librarian.
Reproduction subject to usual conditions: educational use and condition of documents.
Formerly in the custody of the Chief Librarian, Stuart James
Location of Originals
This material is original
No known publications using this material