A miscellaneous collection of 129 autograph letters and other documents, many with envelopes attached, sent from Alexandre Dumas junior to various correspondents between September 1850 and May 1883, all mounted and bound in a large volume, with an engraved portrait of ALEXANDRE DUMAS II printed in Paris mounted on f.1r as a frontispiece to the manuscript.
Miscellaneous correspondence from Alexandre Dumas junior to various recipients
- For more information, email the repository
- Advice on accessing these materials
- Cite this description
- This material is held at
- ReferenceGB 206 Brotherton Collection MS Misc. Letters 1 Dumas
- Dates of Creation1850-1883
- Name of Creator
- Language of MaterialFrench
- Physical Description1 vol. ([ii], 130, ff.) large quarto manuscript. Finely-bound in new red morocco with blind and gilt patterned tooling on both outside covers, gilt folio edges, and a spine with compartments, highly-decorated gilt tooling, and embossed with gilt lettering as follows: DUMAS FILS HOLOGRAPH CORRESPONDENCE.
Scope and Content
Administrative / Biographical History
The writer Alexandre Dumas (1824-1895), the author of La Dame aux camlias, was the son of the novelist Alexandre Dumas (1802-1870).
Access is unrestricted.
From the library of Lord Brotherton.
Other Finding Aids
The letters are listed in the Letters database http://www.leeds.ac.uk/library/spcoll/letters/letlink.htm#dumas