Records for the Portrait Awards relate to the planning and staging of the awards. In later years when the competition extended its activities to regional tours and the travel awards, more paperwork was generated. The records tend to be divided as follows:
1. Proposal and Planning - including correspondence with judges and applicants; commission ideas picture/judging lists; panel texts and captions; and other interpretive material
2. Exhibitors File - includes biography/application forms sometimes with CV; forms may also include image of applicant and sitter; transport, conservation information and condition reports
3. Exhibitor Images - includes slides and prints of individual works. In early years of the competition, slides were submitted by applicants and prints were reproduced for press and publicity use.
4. Financial Management - including high level budget information; sponsorship details; post exhibition evaluation reports
5. Design and Graphics - including plans; layout; colour schemes; correspondence with designers; contractors etc.
6. Publicity Events and Leaflets - includes leaflets; private and press view cards; flyers; event listings; and other material relating to launches; unveilings; dinners etc.
7. Visitor information - includes visitor figures and comments/feedback.
8. Tour - includes all information relating to touring exhibitions and may contain condition reports.
9. Installation shots - images taken of the exhibition in situ (ie. images of how the exhibition looked/the works on display; rather than images of the individual works themselves)
10. Travel Award - after 1994, the portrait awards would include a display from the winner of the travel award from the previous year. This section includes the proposals of travel award winner and runner-ups; correspondence with travel award winner relating to travel arrangements and display planning; picture list; caption/panel texts and installation shots.