A series of wood blocks engraved by Margaret Pilkington. Many were produced in preparation for publication, in particular for Katharine Chorley's Hills and Highways (London: J.M. Dent, 1928), and for Lawrence Pilkington's An Alpine Valley (London: Longmans, Green & Co, 1924).
Wood blocks and Prints
- For more information, email the repository
- Advice on accessing these materials
- Cite this description
- This material is held at
- ReferenceGB 133 PIL/1/4/2
- Dates of Creationn.d. [c.1914-1928]
- Physical Description34 items.
Scope and Content
The blocks are arranged into five sub-subseries:
- PIL/1/4/2/1: Wood blocks for Hills and Highways;
- PIL/1/4/2/2: Wood blocks for An Alpine Valley;
- PIL/1/4/2/3: Other wood blocks;
- PIL/1/4/2/4: Prints from wood blocks;
- PIL/1/4/2/5: Trial proof illustrations to As the Sight is Bent.
The blocks for Hills and Highways and An Alpine Valley are listed in the order in which they appear in each publication. The titles refer to the chapter or poem for which that block is an illustration. This system was used by Sarah Hyde in her catalogue of Margaret Pilkington's engraved work. The titles used by Anthony Christmas in his list are often inaccurate and have therefore not been given here (except to facilitate reference to the catalogue of the Whitworth Art Gallery collections).
The other wood blocks are arranged chronologically. Prints from wood blocks (PIL/1/4/2/4) and Trial proof illustrations to As the Sight is Bent, the unfinished autobiography of Lady Mabel Annesley (PIL/1/4/2/5), were not on the original handlist but have been included in this series as they are related material.
All the measurements are given as height followed by width.