Photograph shows the headstone of the grave of Richard Birt, including the inscription. The grave is in South Africa, where he was stationed as a missionary.
Photograph of the grave of Richard Birt, missionary of the London Missionary Society
- For more information, email the repository
- Advice on accessing these materials
- Cite this description https://archiveshub.jisc.ac.uk/data/gb102-ms380898
- This material is held at
- ReferenceGB 102 MS 380898
- Dates of Creationn.d.
- Name of Creator
- Language of MaterialEnglish
- Physical Description1 item
Scope and Content
Administrative / Biographical History
Richard Birt (1810-1892) served as a missionary with the London Missionary Society in South Africa between 1838 and 1892. He commenced a mission station in what was known as Kafirland, at some distance from Botman's Kraal in 1838. He later commenced an additional station at Peelton in 1848. He died at Peelton on 20 March 1892.
Conditions Governing Access
Donated to SOAS Library in June 2007 by staff at the British Association for Cemetaries in South Africa (BACSA).