- MS 248/431;D Letter to John Franklin, 23 September 1847 [News of Van Dieman's Land and problems with his promotion] 3 leaves, holograph (With annotations by Lady Franklin)
- MS 1226/15;D Letter to Sir James Clarke Ross, 7 December 1847 [Lengthy assessment of American explorer Charles Wilkes, praise of Ross's narrative of Antarctic expedition, reports on work of Observatory, Van Dieman's Land] holograph
- This material is held at
- ReferenceGB 15 Joseph Kay/Correspondence
- Dates of Creation23 September to 7 December 1847
- Name of Creator
- Physical DescriptionCirca 2 letters
- Direct Link
Scope and Content
Administrative / Biographical History
Correspondence regarding the observatory set up in Tasmania during the British Naval Expedition, 1839-1843 (leader James Clark Ross), the explorer Charles Wilkes (Senior commander of the United States Exploring Expedition 1838-1842) and personal matters.
The correspondence is arranged alphabetically by recipient.