Contains notes for sermons and commentaries on the Lord's Prayer, Creed, Psalm 62, Commandments, etc. On f.80 are notes of receipts and payments; "Recepta" begin "for barlye 40 qr 26.13.4"
Miscellaneous sermon notes and Biblical commentaries in Latin, compiled by Anthony Higgin
- For more information, email the repository
- Advice on accessing these materials
- Cite this description
- This material is held at
- ReferenceGB 206 Ripon Cathedral MS 20
- Dates of Creationca.1590?
- Name of Creator
- Language of MaterialLatin English Greek
- Physical Description1 vol. (80 ff.) accompanied (in a separate envelope) by a facsimile of the music written on both sides of the parchment cover Ff.21, 33-6, 49-50 are blank. Text begins at both ends. It is damaged by damp, so that the ink is considerably faded in many places, and almost illegible. Parchment manuscript wrapper containing music, and fragment of a printed service book inside covers.
Scope and Content
Administrative / Biographical History
Anthony Higgin (d. 1624), the son of Thomas Higgin of Manchester, was educated at St John's College, Cambridge, where he became a Fellow in 1574. In 1583 he became rector of Kirk Deighton near Wetherby in Yorkshire, and in 1608 he was appointed Dean of Ripon an appointment he held until his death. He collected books extensively throughout his life, and left them to the church at Ripon when he died. The surviving part of his collection, which numbers about 1250 volumes, is now preserved in Leeds University Library as part of Ripon Cathedral Library.
Conditions Governing Access
Access is unrestricted
From the library of Anthony Higgin, Dean of Ripon
Mainly in Latin, with some Greek and English
Formerly shelved as XVIII.F.28