Most of the collection is contained in 6 boxes, and the contents include:
- In Box 1 - Conceptual briefs, reports and drawings including reports on the various themes for the new museum; exhibition briefs; and, material directly relating to themes on Beginnings, the Church, Jacobites, Enlightenment, the Union, the Victorians and Edwardians, Land, Trade and Industry.
- In Box 2 - Museum zone drawings, plans and layouts; and more material on the various themes of Trade, Industry, Commerce, Money, and the Church.
- In Box 3 - Minutes of Project meetings; notes and diagrams.
- In Box 4 - Museum 2nd Floor sign-off report; reviews, reports etc; and, material on the First Peoples theme
- In Box 5 - Newspaper cutting Observer Review 8 November 1998; copy of A nation in arms Scottish United Serviecs Museum; copy of the Bute Report, Museum, 1985; copy of Museum of Scotland project; copy of Guide to NMS collections; material on acquisitions and disposal policy; various annual reports; and, report on themes, outlines of themes for the new museum.
- In Box 7 - Items of correspondence and various annotated reports, minutes and notes. Also Project lecture material.
In addition, noted as No. 6 among the boxes, there is a report of the National Museums of Scotland, Museum of Scotland, prepared by T.B.V. Dangerfield entitled Beginnings. Phase 1 Report, November 1995.