This collection consists of 20 files of miscellaneous notes gathered byProfessor Southcliffe Ashton on the economic history of the eighteenth century, withparticular reference to wages and prices, coal mining and the iron industry.There are also a few letters to Ashton on historical subjects. The followingmaterial is also included:
- File 4 Description of Sir Richard Arkwright's (1732 - 1792) Mill village atCromford, Derbyshire, and of Arkwright for his bicentenary. Part of an obituarynotice on two unnamed economic historians.
- JL Hammond (condolence on death of Southcliffe's wife or child?), dated 20thFebruary 1953.
- LS Pearsall, Exeter, enclosing a paper on the bankruptcy court, dated 14thFebruary 1953.
- Charles Singer 26th February 1954. File 19 Notes on the calendar of HomeOffice Paper c. 1770 - 1800.
- Drafts of addresses on London School of Economics history and on RichardTawney (1880 - 1862), Professor of Economic History c. 1950 - 1960.
- File 20 Files containing notes on economic history books read by Ashton.
- Letter from JH Plumb, dated c. 1950.