Letters sent from Professor [John] Phillips (1800-1874).
From Professor [John] Phillips (1800-1874)
- For more information, email the repository
- Advice on accessing these materials
- Cite this description
- This material is held at
- ReferenceGB 1239 462/1/3/2/1
- Dates of Creation1874
- Language of MaterialEnglish
- Physical Description1 letter
Scope and Content
Administrative / Biographical History
John Phillips FRS (25 December 1800-24 April 1874) was an English geologist. In 1841 he published the first global geologic time scale based on the correlation of fossils in rock strata, thereby helping to standardize terminology including the term Mesozoic, which he invented.