Letters sent to Grandpa [William Collingwood].
To Grandpa [William Collingwood]
- For more information, email the repository
- Advice on accessing these materials
- Cite this description
- This material is held at
- ReferenceGB 1239 462/1/1/7/4
- Dates of Creation1897-1903
- Language of MaterialEnglish
- Physical Description3 letters
Scope and Content
Administrative / Biographical History
William Collingwood (1819-1903) was the Father of W. G. Collingwood. He was born in Greenwich in 1819, later living in Hastings, Liverpool, and finally Bristol where he died in 1893. He was an artist and an art teacher. He was a member of the Brethren (later the Plymouth Brethren) and wrote several pamphlets about them. He married a Swiss woman called Marie Imhoff with whom he had three children. He won two prizes for landscape at the Society of Arts. He was a member of member of the New Water-Colour Society, and was also of the a member of the Old Society, the Royal Watercolour Society.