1. Five spiral-bound notepads containing, for the most part, notes for a projected novel concerning a world war referred to as 'WVA' [World Versus America]: 'A backstory would describe the US imperial reach & attacks on other countries - its threats, use of force etc. The events that have brought a sense of despair to its last allies, & the decision to attack the US before it is too late.' (Notepad A, leaf 1.) On the inside back cover of Notepad D, Ballard has written what appears to be a working title: 'An Immodest Proposal or How the World Declared War on America'.
None of the notepads are dated.
The notepads (intact) have been designated A-E for the purpose of identification (notepad chronology is not implied), and used leaves have been numbered on the recto of each leaf by notepad letter and leaf number, e.g. A1.
- Notepad A (gold front cover): numbered A1-A23. All leaves used.
- Notepad B: numbered B1-B21. All leaves used. B18-21 contain ideas for a novel different to 'WVA', a novel that is 'more like Running Wild' (B21).
- Notepad C: numbered C1-C10. Remaining leaves not used. On the inside back cover, Ballard has written his initials 'JGB'.
- Notepad D. The notepad has been used from back to front and accordingly has been numbered from the back of the notepad. The leaves are numbered D1-D7. Remaining leaves not used.
- Notepad E: numbered E1-E2. Remaining leaves not used.
2. A single sheet of notes detached from one of the notepads. The notes are headed: 'WVA' [World versus America] and begin 'all the leading characters have'.
3. Single sheet of notes (typescript) headed 'VUS 1', beginning: 'The central idea is extremely strong, but can I do full justice to it?'
4. Brief undated notes for a children's story entitled 'The Mirror' (2 sheets detached from a notepad).