1. Ballard at a book-signing event for the publication of Empire of the Sun, at Forbidden Planet, London. Six black and white photographs, A-F (each 170 x 250mm). Photographer not known.
2. Three items relating to the Steven Spielberg film, Empire of the Sun:
- (G) Ballard in costume for film extra role, wearing top hat, red jacket, and a Union Jack waistcoat. 35mm colour slide in card mount (Warner Bros, 1987).
- (H) Ballard and Steven Spielberg on the film set at Sunningdale. Black and white, 180 x 240mm (Warner Bros, 1987).
- (I) Ballard in costume on the film set, with an unidentified man. Colour, 175 x 255mm. Photographer not known, annotated 'ESC 2735' on the verso.
See Miracles of Life (2008), p. 256: 'Spielberg invited me to play a walk-on part at the fancy-dress party that opens the film. I appeared as John Bull in scarlet coat and top hat.'