1. Graham Rae (26 November 2006, typescript): interested in Ballard and William Burroughs, requesting answers to various questions.
2. Jeremy Reed. Five autograph letters (with enclosures):
- 6 March 1999: thanking Ballard for agreeing to look at his 'epic poem on Elvis Presley' (for a bound typescript copy of 'Heartbreak Hotel', see Add MS 88938/9/2);
- 3 June 2003: enclosing eight poems (present in the file);
- 15 May, 2005: thanking Ballard for the 'warmth and generosity' of his response;
- 12 September 2005: referring to a short introduction to Reed's poems to be written by Ballard;
- 21 January 2007: enclosing an article by Reed, 'Pink Cadillacs and Suburban Psychopaths: Elvis Presley and J G Ballard'.
3. Candida Richardson (3 May 2005, autograph), referring to a visit to Shanghai and to finding Ballard's house: 'It's been turned into offices for a real estate company [...].' With a folded (and annotated) street map of Shanghai.
4. Will Self. Four letters (typescript):
- 24 June 2007, referring to the film The Lives of Others [Florian Henckel von Donnersmarck, 2006]: 'The film would be worth seeing for the furniture alone, but best of all is that the entire plot hinges upon a typewriter';
- 23 December 2007: 'Many thanks for your kind words re. "Psychogeography", which was received well in the US, but with a tweedy silence here';
- 28 February : commenting upon Miracles of Life;
- 18 December 2008: having just completed The Butt (sending Ballard a bound proof copy) and in the midst of writing 'this strange collection of shorter narratives' (Liver).
5. Iain Sinclair. Two letters (typescript):
- 20 June 1998, referring to the transcription of an interview: 'The tapes, you'll be pleased to hear, were fine [....] Our conversation is now transcribed, with plenty of excellent material from which to cull the relevant extracts'.
- 18 July 2007: 'It was great to see photographs of all of you foregathered in the Hilton [....] Park Lane?'
6. William Skidelsky, New Statesman (20 May 2005, by fax), enquiring if Ballard would consider reviewing 'a clutch of new translations of German Second World War books'. The fax has been printed on the verso of a discarded typescript page (p. 200) from Millennium People.
7. Alastair Sooke, The Daily Telegraph (14 October 2004), inviting Ballard to contribute to a Books of the Year 'round up', in 50 words or less. With the text of Ballard's nominations (Robert O Paxton, The Anatomy of Fascism and John Gray, Heresies). One page of the fax has been printed on the verso of a discarded proof page (p. 117) from Millennium People.
8. Jane Tranter, Head of Drama Serials, BBC (23 March 2000), referring to script development of Vermilion Sands in conjunction with US partners.
9. Claire Walsh (26 January 2005, typescript fax message signed 'Claire'): a brief question about her tax liability, with a reply beneath in Ballard's hand: 'Say nothing, admit nothing, believe everything. Nothing is true, and nothing is untrue'. The fax has been printed on the verso of a discarded typescript page (p. 302) from Millennium People.
10. Jonathan Waxman (Professor of Oncology, Hammersmith Hospital). Two items:
- 14 April 1998 (postcard), thanking Ballard for his 'help with the book';
- 10 January 2008 (letter, typescript with autograph postscript), thanking Ballard 'for the book and to wish you better [...] so kind of you to write about your doc, in the way you have'.
- 14 January 2008 (printed e-mail to Claire Walsh, to be passed to Ballard), commenting on Miracles of Life: 'I was so touched by the final chapter'. (Printed on the verso of typescript p. 169 from Cocaine Nights.)
11. David Yelland. Two items:
- 8 March 2003 (autograph message card, 8 March 2003), with comments on Miracles of Life;
- [December 2007], a personalised Christmas card (showing a photograph of Yelland and his son - the card has been cut diagonally across at the top right corner).
12. V Vale. Four communications by fax:
- 15 November 2004 (numbered sheets 2 and 3 only), referring to religious belief and to the Ten Commandments (printed on discarded typescript pages 60 and 61 from Millennium People);
- 18 January 2005, referring to 'our contract for the JGBQUOTES book' and to contractual matters (Spanish publisher) regarding The Atrocity Exhibition (printed on discarded typescript page 316 from Millennium People);
- 28 January 2005, with further contractual comments and a typed copy of a review of Ballard, Quotes in East Bay Express (printed on two discarded typescript pages 298 and 299 from Millennium People);
- 4 August 2007, referring to royalties (Robyn Strauss Agency) for The Atrocity Exhibition (printed on discarded typescript page 277 from Kingdom Come).