- Certificate for a pass in Elementary Stage of Inorganic Chemistry (Practical). The Committee of Her Majesty's most Honourable Privy Council on Education, Department of Science and Art, London (This certificate is elaborately decorated) 1893
- Degree certificate of Weir Burns Cunningham, MB, ChB, from the University of Glasgow 1909
- Certificate of appointment as a surgeon in the Royal Navy 1915
- Class photograph of Glasgow University Engineering Department 1922
- Degree certificate of Muriel Churchill Holmes Cunningham, MB, ChB, from the University of Glasgow 1939
Papers of Weir Burns Cunningham, 1878-1955, medical student, University of Glasgow, Scotland and Muriel Churchill Holmes Cunningham, b.1914, medical student, University of Glasgow, Scotland
- This material is held at
- ReferenceGB 248 UGC 084
- Dates of Creation1893-1939
- Name of Creator
- Language of MaterialEnglish
- Physical Description0.05 metres
Scope and Content
Administrative / Biographical History
Weir Burns Cunningham was born on 17th October 1878 in Glasgow, Scotland. His father was Robert Cunningham, an engineer, who had died by 1897. Weir attended the University of Glasgow from 1897-1909 and graduated MB ChB. On 29 Jan 1915 he was commissioned as a surgeon in the Royal Navy. This commission was cancelled on 24 November 1916 when he left the service. Later, he was Medical Officer at the Emergency Hospital and Yaws Ward with Leper Asylum, St. Kitts, West Indies and then District Medical Officer, Nevis, West Indies. By 1949 he was living with his daughter, Muriel, in Slamannan, Stirlingshire. He died in 1955 .
Muriel Churchill Holmes Cunningham was born in Glasgow on 31 May 1914 and graduated MB ChB from the University of Glasgow in 1939 . She was Resident Obstetric Surgeon, East District Hospital, Glasgow; Resident Medical Officer Stobhill Hospital, Glasgow; Resident Medical Officer Barnhill Institution, Glasgow. She married Harry B Oram in 1947 and moved to Slamannan, Stirlingshire. She was still in the General Council Register in 1995 .
The arrangement of this material reflects the original order in which it was received
Deposit : Development and Alumni Office, University of Glasgow : 2002
Other Finding Aids
Digital file level list available in searchroom
Alternative Form Available
No known copies
Fonds level description created by Andrew Thomson, Hub Project Archivist, 24 November 2004
Conditions Governing Use
Applications for permission to quote should be sent to the Archivist.
Reproduction subject to usual conditions: educational use and condition of documents.
This material has been appraised in line with standard GB 248 procedures
Location of Originals
This material is original
No known publications using this material