Comprises the following two poems: (1) To Mr B--man S--son [i.e. Bowman Samson] poet in Sandwich; (2) A reply to Mr Burchett's farewell to Sandwich.
Two English satirical poems relating to Sandwich in Kent, by Josiah Burchett and Bowman Samson
- For more information, email the repository
- Advice on accessing these materials
- Cite this description https://archiveshub.jisc.ac.uk/data/gb206-brothertoncollectionmsltq63
- This material is held at
- ReferenceGB 206 Brotherton Collection MS Lt q 63
- Dates of Creationca. 1730
- Name of Creator
- Language of MaterialEnglish
- Physical Description2 ff., separate folio manuscripts. Probably written in a single hand; the same watermark occurs in both folios.
Scope and Content
Administrative / Biographical History
The compiler of the manuscript is unknown. Josiah Burchett (1666?-1746) was M.P. for Sandwich 1703-1713 and 1721-1741, secretary of the Admiralty, and the author of a naval history published in 1720; see the Dictionary of National Biography. Bowman Samson may have been a local amateur poet.
Conditions Governing Access
Access is unrestricted.
Purchased at Heath's bookshop on 3 September 1996.
Other Finding Aids
The poems are indexed in the BCMSV database http://www.leeds.ac.uk/library/spcoll/bcmsv/bcmvlink.htm#bcltq63