Comprises a scrapbook on Ouida, including 20 letters from her to Clement Shorter, who is usually addressed as "Dear Sir", often undated, but including letters dated 20 July 1895 to 4 September 1897, and 16 press-cuttings concerning her dated between 1907 and 1928, including obituaries on her, appreciations of her work, and 5 portrait photographs of her.
Scrapbook of letters from Ouida, with related material
- For more information, email the repository
- Advice on accessing these materials
- Cite this description https://archiveshub.jisc.ac.uk/data/gb206-brothertoncollectionmsmisc.letters1ouida
- This material is held at
- ReferenceGB 206 Brotherton Collection MS Misc. Letters 1 Ouida
- Dates of Creationca. 1895-1928
- Name of Creator
- Language of MaterialEnglish
- Physical Description1 vol. with most leaves cut down to stubs on which letters are mounted, manuscript and press-cuttings, some with photographs. Bound with boards partly covered with a navy blue leather spine and corners, the spine being gilt-embossed with the lettering OUIDA. There is marbling on both outside boards and inside covers and endpapers.
Scope and Content
Administrative / Biographical History
Ouida, pseudonym of Maria Louisa Rame (1839-1908), the novelist. For fuller details of her life and achievements see the Dictionary of National Biography.
Conditions Governing Access
Access is unrestricted.
Probably from the library of Lord Brotherton.