Papers and collections of the Nichols family, consisting of correspondence and "Family Records", volumes containing collections of family papers.
Papers of the Nichols Family, Printers and Publishers
- For more information, email the repository
- Advice on accessing these materials
- Cite this description https://archiveshub.jisc.ac.uk/data/gb161-mss.eng.b.2071-7,c.6165-6
- This material is held at
- ReferenceGB 161 MSS. Eng. b. 2071-7, c. 6165-6
- Dates of Creation1785-1854
- Language of MaterialEnglish.
- Physical Description9 shelfmarks
Scope and Content
Administrative / Biographical History
John Nichols (1745-1826) and his son, John Bowyer Nichols (1779-1863), were both printers and antiquaries, and were proprietors of the Gentleman's Magazine. Details are given in the Dictionary of National Biography.
Conditions Governing Access
Entry to read in the Library is permitted only on presentation of a valid reader's card (for admissions procedures see http://www.bodleian.ox.ac.uk/specialcollections).
The papers were bought, with the help of Robin Myers, from Questor Rare Books in 1997.
Collection level description created by Emily Tarrant, Department of Special Collections and Western Manuscripts.
Other Finding Aids
A catalogue of the collection is available online at http://www.bodleian.ox.ac.uk/specialcollectionswmss/online/online.htm.