Undated biographical sketch of Sir Frederick Mappin by his grandson RobertGeorge Mappin Fenwick.
MAPPIN SIR FREDERICK THORPE 1821-1910BT MP
- For more information, email the repository
- Advice on accessing these materials
- Cite this description https://archiveshub.jisc.ac.uk/data/gb97-collmisc0678
- This material is held at
- ReferenceGB 97 COLL MISC 0678
- Dates of Creation[late 19th - early 20th century]
- Language of MaterialEnglish.
- Physical Description1 folder
Scope and Content
Administrative / Biographical History
Sir Frederick Mappin (1821-1910)
Sir Frederick Mappin was the head of his father's cutlery business,1841-1885. He was a senior partner in firm of Turton & Sons, steelmanufacturers, 1859-1885, and mayor of Sheffield, 1877-1878. Mappin was afounder and benefactor of Sheffield Technical School, and largely endowedSheffield University. He was its first senior pro-chancellor, 1905. Mappinwas also director of Midland Railway, 1869-1900. He was Whig MP for EastRetford, 1880-1885, and for Hallamshire, 1885-1906. He became a baronet in1886. Mappin added 80 pictures to Mappin Art Gallery, which was founded byhis uncle.
Conditions Governing Access
Robert George MappinFenwick
Other Finding Aids
No further listrequired
Conditions Governing Use