Comprises ca.120 autograph letters from Chantrey to various recipients dated 27 September 1811-1 November 1841, including some undated letters, 1 autograph letter from Lady Chantrey to 'Mr. Cooke' dated 11 November 1842, 2 autograph letters from Thomas Moore to Chantrey dated 27 June and 22 December 1824, 1 autograph letter from Benjamin Robert Haydon to Chantrey dated 19 July 1827 (all these letters with transcripts), several autographs of Chantrey's, a few miscellaneous notes relating to the collection, compiled by Sotheby's, 1 drawing of a dog by Chantrey, 1 printed portrait of Chantrey engraved by J. Thomson from an original painting in 1822, and a brief manuscript biography of Chantrey. The first bound volume also contains a typescript biography of Butler which is identical to the latter and gives his date of birth as 7 April 1782, rather than 1781, the accepted date found in the Dictionary of National Biography.
Correspondence of Sir Francis Chantrey, with related material
- For more information, email the repository
- Advice on accessing these materials
- Cite this description
- This material is held at
- ReferenceGB 206 Brotherton Collection MS Misc. Letters 1 Chantrey
- Dates of Creationca. 1811-1842
- Name of Creator
- Language of MaterialEnglish French
- Physical Descriptionca. 123 letters, 1 printed portrait, 1 drawing, several autographs, and a few miscellaneous notes, all held in 2 boxes, manuscript and printed material. The material was formerly bound into two volumes containing also transcripts of the letters, which are now shelved in a separate author/alphabetical sequence following the main sequence of Miscellaneous Letters. There is a third volume accompanying the main two volumes which contains second copies of all the transcripts of the letters.
Scope and Content
Administrative / Biographical History
Sir Francis Legatt Chantrey (1781-1841), the sculptor. For fuller details of his life and achievements see the Dictionary of National Biography.
Conditions Governing Access
Access is unrestricted.
From the library of Lord Brotherton.
In English, but with a little French.
Other Finding Aids
The letters are listed in the Letters database http://www.leeds.ac.uk/library/spcoll/letters/letlink.htm#chantrey