Comprises ca.120 autograph letters from Chantrey to various recipients dated 27 September 1811-1 November 1841, including some undated letters, 1 autograph letter from Lady Chantrey to 'Mr. Cooke' dated 11 November 1842, 2 autograph letters from Thomas Moore to Chantrey dated 27 June and 22 December 1824, 1 autograph letter from Benjamin Robert Haydon to Chantrey dated 19 July 1827 (all these letters with transcripts), several autographs of Chantrey's, a few miscellaneous notes relating to the collection, compiled by Sotheby's, 1 drawing of a dog by Chantrey, 1 printed portrait of Chantrey engraved by J. Thomson from an original painting in 1822, and a brief manuscript biography of Chantrey. The first bound volume also contains a typescript biography of Butler which is identical to the latter and gives his date of birth as 7 April 1782, rather than 1781, the accepted date found in the Dictionary of National Biography.
Correspondence of Sir Francis Chantrey, with related material
- For more information, email the repository
- Advice on accessing these materials
- Cite this description
- This material is held at
- ReferenceGB 206 Brotherton Collection MS Misc. Letters 1 Chantrey
- Dates of Creationca. 1811-1842
- Name of Creator
- Language of MaterialEnglish French
- Physical Descriptionca. 123 letters, 1 printed portrait, 1 drawing, several autographs, and a few miscellaneous notes, all held in 2 boxes, manuscript and printed material. The material was formerly bound into two volumes containing also transcripts of the letters, which are now shelved in a separate author/alphabetical sequence following the main sequence of Miscellaneous Letters. There is a third volume accompanying the main two volumes which contains second copies of all the transcripts of the letters.
Scope and Content
Administrative / Biographical History
Sir Francis Legatt Chantrey (1781-1841), the sculptor. For fuller details of his life and achievements see the Dictionary of National Biography.
Access is unrestricted.
From the library of Lord Brotherton.
In English, but with a little French.
Other Finding Aids
The letters are listed in the Letters database http://www.leeds.ac.uk/library/spcoll/letters/letlink.htm#chantrey