Minute books, accounts, correspondence and papers of the Society.
Records of the Oxfordshire Architectural and Historical Society
- For more information, email the repository
- Advice on accessing these materials
- Cite this description
- This material is held at
- ReferenceGB 161 Dep. c. 586-94, c. 600, d. 510-56, d. 558-60, e. 263-8, f. 59-64
- Dates of Creation1835-1969
- Language of MaterialEnglish.
- Physical Description72 shelfmarks
Scope and Content
Administrative / Biographical History
The Society was founded in 1839 as The Society for Promoting the Study of Gothic Architecture. It was renamed The Oxford Architectural Society in 1848 and was refounded as the Oxford Architectural and Historical Society in 1860. In 1972 the Society was renamed the Oxfordshire Architectural and Historical Society when it merged with The Oxfordshire Archaeological Society.
Entry to read in the Library is permitted only on presentation of a valid reader's card (for admissions procedures see http://www.bodleian.ox.ac.uk/specialcollections).
The papers were deposited by the committee of the Oxfordshire Architectural and Historical Society, 1978-9.
- Records of the Oxfordshire Architectural and Historical Society (Dep. c. 586-94, c. 600, d. 510-56, d. 558-60, e. 263-8, f. 59-64)
- Oxfordshire Architectural and Historical Society Hon. Treasurer's Papers (Dep. c. 678-81)
- Oxford Architectural and History Society Notes (MSS. Top. Oxon. d. 90-3)
Collection level description created by Emily Tarrant, Department of Special Collections and Western Manuscripts.
Other Finding Aids
A full description is available in the Library.