The collection is divided into 22 series and all items relate to Frederick Longdon and Co. Ltdunless otherwise stated. The collection comprises:
- Minutes of the Corset Department Management Committee, April 1938-September 1939 (BLD 1).
- Final account books, December 1899-December 1961 (BLD 2).
- Ledgers, January 1916-1981 (BLD 3, 4 and 9).
- Cash-books, April 1950-January 1981 (BLD 5 and 6).
- Special order book, 1885-October 1919 (BLD 7).
- Trade expenses book, January 1972-November 1980 (BLD 8).
- Petty cash book, account book and sales ledger for T. Glover and Son Ltd, May 1959-October 1985 (BLD 10, 11 and 12).
- Photographs and printed images of employees, c.1884-c.1970s (BLD 13).
- Share certificates, September 1946-June 1981 (BLD 14).
- Correspondence, agreements, printed items and other papers and artefacts, April 1935-July 1980 (BLD 15-22).
The collection represents the surviving records of F. Longdon and Co. Ltd and a few itemsrelating to Thomas Glover and Son Ltd. Of particular interest are the minutes for Longdon's CorsetDepartment covering the period 1938-1939, photographs of employees, and a few items ofcorrespondence with the American fabric manufacturer Kaylooms Incorporated.
The collection incompletely records the history of Longdon's and Glover's and informationrelating to their products and manufacturing processes is limited. The collection would providesupplementary information for any study into the firms or the textile industry in general but isinsufficiently complete to permit detailed research into these subjects.