The collection is composed of a number of letters to James Blades including :
- - letter from Music Librarian, Liverpool City Libraries, 20 June 1967, about a title to do with the tambourine
- - letter from Music Librarian, Liverpool City Libraries, 27 June 1967, indicating that photostat pages relevant to the tambourine will be sent to Blades
- - letter from Deutsche Grammophon (GB) Ltd. to Faber and Faber, 9 March 1965, about the Zimbelstern used on a recording
- - letter from Deutsche Grammophon (GB) Ltd. to Faber and Faber, 23 March 1965, about the Zimbelstern and its construction
- - letter from Faber and Faber to Blades, 18 April 1966, about bells in 'Parsifal'
There are also the following within the collection:
- - photostat pages from Liverpool City Libraries relevant to Instructions for the tambourine ...
- - photostat pages of Music for a thousand autumns which was played on the birthday of the Hsuan-tsung Emperor on 5 August 728
- - photostat copy of article On playing the triangle by Alexander Brent-Smith from the journal 'The Musical Times', January 1930.
- - photostat copy of instructions for drum, clapper and jingles in a Chinese piece