Comprises: (1) Notebook containing balance sheets, 1875-92; (2) Private ledger, 1898-1918; (3) Letter book, 1889-1922; (4) Wages book, 1883-1906; (5) General ledgers, 1894-1903 and 1906-19; (6) Two notebooks containing balance sheets of William Gawthorp and Company, Commission wool combers, Bradford, 1882-97.
John Reddihough Limited and William Gawthorp Limited, business archive
- For more information, email the repository
- Advice on accessing these materials
- Cite this description
- This material is held at
- ReferenceGB 206 BUS/Reddihough
- Dates of Creation1875-1922
- Name of Creator
- Language of MaterialEnglish
- Physical Description8 vols Most of the volumes are bound in leather with marbled endpapers; vols 3 and 7 have gilt spine lettering; vol. 7 is labelled W. & B. Ltd, and P.L.
Scope and Content
Administrative / Biographical History
John Reddihough Limited, of 21 Horton Lane, Bradford, were wool merchants, topmakers, and wool combers, formerly operating as Reddihough and Murgatroyd, woolstaplers. William Gawthorp & Company were commission wool combers of Bradford. John and Frank Reddihough were partners, and from the 1890s there were other partners in common with John Reddihough Ltd.
Access to this material is unrestricted.
Other Finding Aids
Described in Patricia Hudson, The West Riding wool textile industry: a catalogue of business records from the sixteenth to the twentieth century , 1975
For further details of the company's history see W.R. Millmore, "John Reddihough Ltd, Bradford: a record of enterprise and integrity", Wool Record , 80 (1951), pp.1427-429