3 identification tags [1906-ca. 1922]; 9 medals, with 1939-1945 Award card (1914-1924, 1939-1945); Typed transcripts of interviews recorded with Peter Liddle (April 1972, nd); Manuscript note to his son, Donald, relating to identification tags (24 August 1977); 4 manuscript diaries, with photocopies (1914-1917); 63 photographs (1914-1919); Typescript extract 'Ruddy Sheldrake' (nd); Correspondence with publishers (25 October 1970-20 January 1975); 2 letters to Peter Liddle (4 May 1973, 23 May 1973); 2 folders of service records and related papers (1906-1934); Folder of personal papers (1933-1944); Bound typescript recollections 'On My Own', Vols I-II, and bound manuscript recollections 'On My Own', Vol III, by E.S. Humphries, with synopsis and group photograph (1974-1986); Manuscript letter from Harry Schueler, with copy of later letter from E.S. Humphries to Harry Schueler (20 October 1930, 5 September 1974).
Edward Humphries papers
- For more information, email the repository
- Advice on accessing these materials
- Cite this description https://archiveshub.jisc.ac.uk/data/gb206-liddlecollectionmes050
- This material is held at
- ReferenceGB 206 Liddle Collection MES 050
- Dates of Creation1906-1986.
- Name of Creator
- Language of MaterialEnglish
- Physical Description4 boxes; manuscript, typescript, photographs, and printed material; Includes 3 identification tags and 9 medals.
Scope and Content
Administrative / Biographical History
Edward S. Humphries, born in 1889, was a Lance Corporal and 2nd Lieutenant, Lahore Division Signal Company, serving in India from 1908, on the Western Front, 1914-1915, and then in Mesopotamia from 1916. He was awarded the DCM (Distinguished Conduct Medal) and the MC (Military Cross), and later became a Major.
Conditions Governing Access
Access is unrestricted.
Other Finding Aids
Mesopotamia catalogue (hard copy) http://www.leeds.ac.uk/library/spcoll/liddle/index.htm
Alternative Form Available