Papers for 'The Bloom of candles'. Nine of the twelve poems of the collection are typewritten and typewritten copies, with autograph amendments. Most of the poems had been previously published in periodicals and the drafts and texts presented to these periodicals are included here.
1. 'April rise'; -1956. First published in Horizon, vol. 14, no. 80 (Aug. 1946). Also published in Poems and Selected poems and in The Listener, 22 Jan. 1953. With printed cuttings from The Listener, 22 Jan. 1953, and The Sunday Times, 15 Apr. 1956. A further draft of the poem is in the notebook for 'The Voyage of Magellan' at Add MS 88936/3/2.
2. 'Bird'; . First published in Penguin New Writing, no. 28 (Summer 1946), and also in Poems and Selected poems.
3. 'Black edge'; . First published in The Listener, 11 May 1946.
4. 'Christmas landscape'. Earlier entitled 'Winter landscape'. Published in The Listener, 28 Dec. 1948 (with printed cutting), and also in Poems and Selected poems.
5. 'Day of these days'; , 1985. First published in Horizon, vol. 14, no. 80 (Aug. 1946). With a single typed sheet 'Reprinted by kind permission of the author', possibly for a poetry reading competition, and three lines from the poem with a short note on Lee reproduced on a printed calendar page for Aug. 1985.
6. 'December morning', also entitled 'Winter morning'; . First published in Penguin New Writing, no. 21 (1944).
7. 'First love'; . First published in Orion, no. 2 (Autumn 1945).
8. 'Poem for Easter'; . The typescript is stamped 'Horizon', but it was not published there, being published in The Listener, 4 Apr. 1946, and also in Poems and Selected poems.
9. 'Summer rain'; . First published in Penguin new writing, no. 23 (1945).
10. 'Time returning'; n.d. Typewritten text stamped 'Horizon', but not published there.