Covering foreword and pieces 1-5.
Foreword. Autograph and typewritten, with correspondence and Lee's notes on which articles to include in the work. With autograph and typewritten copy of the text of the introduction to the German edition, which was entitled Die Hügel der Toscana.
1. 'True adventures of the boy reader'. First published as 'Childhood reading' in the New York Times BookReview, 12 Nov. 1961. Typewritten and printed issue of the periodical. Also printed cuttings from English Digest, and from Western Daily Press of 21 Oct. 1975.
2. 'Whitsuntide treat'. First published as 'A Cotswold festival' in Geographical magazine, vol. 15, no. 1 (May 1942). Typewritten draft entitled 'Festival', and photocopy of the printed article.
3. 'Eight-year old world'. Originally a broadcast, see Add MS 88936/2/148.
4. 'A drink with a witch'. First published in Leader Magazine, 16 Apr.1949. Printed cutting of the article.
5. 'First love'. First published as 'First encounters with the opposite sex' in Vogue, Feb. 1964, and in Vogue, American edition, of 15 Mar. 1964, also published as 'Illusions of innocence' in Candida, 21 Oct. 1972. Autograph and typewritten texts, with printed cuttings. For a film script based on this article and on the closing chapters of Cider with Rosie and considerably expanded see Add MS 88936/2/39-42.