Minutes, 1951-81 (incomplete); accounts, 1916-50; conference proceedings, 1937-82; Jack Jones' papers, 1952-8; correspondence and subject files, 1947-81; agreements, 1958-77; Rugby branch minutes, 1918-35; Association of Clerical, Technical and Supervisory Staffs minutes, 1957-71, conference proceedings, 1967-82, correspondence, 1975-7 and agreements, 1960-9, 1975-7.
Transport and General Workers' Union. Coventry District
- This material is held at
- ReferenceGB 152 MSS.208
- Dates of Creation1916-1982
- Language of MaterialEnglish.
- Physical Description[ not recorded ]
Scope and Content
Administrative / Biographical History
The Coventry District developed from the organisation set up by the Workers' Union, which amalgamated with the Transport and General Workers' Union in 1929. At the end of 1915 the Workers' Union formalised its organisation by the creation of Divisions within which there were a number of Districts. Coventry became a District within the Midlands Division organised by G. Beard.
Reference: Richard Hyman, The Workers' Union.Oxford, 1971.
Conditions Governing Access
Access : Three year rule.
The archive is only partly listed. The list of the second deposit is based upon Dr Tolliday's transfer list. The Centre also holds the records of the national Transport and General Workers' Union (MSS.126/TG) .
The initial deposit was collected by A. Tough on 27th November 1979. Accruals are detailed below. The second deposit of records was made by the district organser, Mr Adler, following a thorough search for non-current records carried out at Transport House, Coventry, by Dr Stephen Tolliday. The Centre is grateful to Dr Tolliday for his work in locating and listing the records.
- 10th November 1980 : 6 filing cabinet drawers, collected by A. Tough.
- 27th January 1982 : 5 wooden drawers and 13 cartons, unaccompanied van collection.
- 25th September 1984 : 1 carload of records, delivered by D. Adler.
- 29th August 1985 : 1 carton, delivered by D. Adler.
- 18th March 1986 : 2 boxes, delivered by D. Adler.
- 17th August 1990 : 1 parcel, delivered by D. Adler.
There have been no further deposits since 1990.