Letters home from Canton and Christmas Island, with related photographs,press cuttings and farewell addresses, 1899-1954; transcript of journal of hisfather Robert Beatty's voyage to India, 1856.
Papers of David Beatty
- This material is held at
- ReferenceGB 161 MSS. Ind. Ocn. s. 286, t. 8
- Dates of Creation, 1899-1954
- Language of MaterialEnglish, and Chinese.
- Physical Description3 boxes The farewell address, 1926, written on silk and originally stored in a woodenbox, was donated to the library in a large frame format, with degraded paper backing.The Conservation Section of the Bodleian Library undertook limited drycleaning,minor repairs, etc. in [March 1997], rehousing the item in a card box andplacing a hollytex sheet against the silk to prevent abrasion when rolled.Future plans for the item's preservation include flat storage and remountingof the silk with new borders by an experienced Oriental conservator.
- Direct Link
Scope and Content
Administrative / Biographical History
David Beatty (fl 1899-1952) served in Canton [1900-1904], Christmas Island [c1903-1904] andSingapore as a member of the Malayan Civil Service. He retired as Secretary forChinese Affairs in Singapore in 1926.
Conditions Governing Access
Bodleian reader's ticket required.
Collection level description created by Paul Davidson, Bodleian Library of Commonwealth and African Studies at Rhodes House.
Other Finding Aids
Listed as no. 662 in Manuscript Collections in Rhodes House Library Oxford,Accessions 1978-1994 (Oxford, Bodleian Library, 1996).
Alternative Form Available
Copies of various photographs, etc. are held by the Christmas Island NaturalHistory Association.
Conditions Governing Use
No reproduction or publication of personal papers without permission. Contact the library in the first instance.
Miss D. Beatty donated the following items
- Farewell address from the Foochow Society of Singapore and the Chinese community of Sanchow, given to Beatty on his retirement as Secretary forChinese Affairs in Singapore, 1926, donated [May 1985]
- Copy of Malaya,December 1952, containing an account of Beatty's death, donated on 24th April 1985
- Two letters from Beatty concerning the Chinese procession and Borneo exhibition during the visit of the Prince of Wales (Duke of Windsor) toMalaya in 1922, with request for photograph of Beatty by the Po Leung Kuh Committee, 1954, donated on 18th July 1985
- Album of photographs including views of Hong Kong, Canton and Macao, donated in October 1985
- Cuttings from the Supplement to the Strait[s] Budget,30th September 1926, donated on [28th] February 1989