The collection consists of photographs and transparencies of signs by Thomas Bamford for the University of Cambridge, including for Kings College, Newnham College, Sidney Sussex College, St Catherine's College, Trinity College, Westminster and Cheshunt Colleges, the Faculty of Oriental Studies, the Botanic Gardens, the Scott Polar Research Institute, and Great St Mary's Church; of commemorative rowing shields, oars and rudders mostly for the University of Cambridge; and other signs for churches, companies and other organisations. The collection also includes a photograph of (presumably) Thomas Bamford, and a photograph of the World War II memorial at Trinity College, Cambridge by David Kindersley.
Photographs of work by Thomas Bamford
- This material is held at
- ReferenceGB 2941 BAM
- Dates of Creationc1951 - c1975
- Name of Creator
- Language of MaterialEnglish
- Physical Description1 Timecare box and files.
Scope and Content
Administrative / Biographical History
Thomas Bamford, signwriter, had a workshop in Cambridge. He studied at the Birmingham Central [or Municipal] School of Art during the First World War. He was a member of the M.S.M.A. and of the Society of Designer Craftsmen.
The collection was arranged by Greta Bertram in 2021, with the photographs arranged in order of commission/location.
- BAM/1 Photograph of TB
- BAM/2 Photographs of work by TB
- BAM/3 Photograph of work by David Kindersley
- BAM/4 Transparencies of work by TB
- BAM/5 Mounted slip 'In thanksgiving' for the 50th anniversary of the ordination of Alfred Newman Gilbey, 1979
- BAM/6 Design for a sign in commemoration of 'The renovation of these kitchens' in 1980-1981
- BAM/7 Letters to TB
- BAM/8 Publications featuring work by TB
Archive material may be viewed by appointment only.
This entry was compiled by Greta Bertram, Curator, Crafts Study Centre, April 2021.
Other Finding Aids
A handlist is available on request.
Conditions Governing Use
Written permission must be sought before any archival material is published.