Manuscript and printed works of J.S. Knowles, consisting of:
- Transcript of articles contributed to the Glasgow Free Press by Knowles, 1823-4
- The Western luminary or Glasgow literary and scientific gazette, vol. 1, nos. 1-26 (Jan.-June 1824), edited by Knowles, with several articles by him
- Tales and novelettes (privately printed, London, 1874), with a manuscript of 'Therese', n.d., and Fortescue. A novel (privately printed, London, 1846)
- Volume containing The rock of Rome; or the arch heresy (London, 1849), with a manuscript of the work, n.d., and The gospel attributed to Matthew is the record of the whole original apostlehood (London, 1855), with manuscript drafts, n.d.
- The idol demolished by its own priest (Edinburgh & London, 1851)
- Two volumes containing thirty unpublished sermons by Knowles, 1853, 1854, n.d.
- Transcripts of the thirty sermons, 1873
- Drafts of three lectures on the apostolic succession and on infant baptism, n.d.