Comprises 12 autograph letters from Sir George Smart, dated from 1829 to 1864, 1 ticket for the Opera House, Haymarket, dated 15 March 1804, with an illustration designed for the occasion, 3 salary receipts signed by Smart on 30 June 1827, 24 March 1830, and 28 June 1831, and a sheet extracted from an attendance register signed by Smart as professor of singing for several pupils in December 1846.
Letters from Sir George Smart, with related material
- For more information, email the repository
- Advice on accessing these materials
- Cite this description
- This material is held at
- ReferenceGB 206 Brotherton Collection MS Misc. Letters 2 Smart
- Dates of Creation1804-1864
- Name of Creator
- Language of MaterialEnglish
- Physical Description12 letters (18 ff. with 12 ff. conjoined in 6 pairs), 1 envelope, 1 autograph, and 6 printed and handwritten mementos, all held in 1 envelope, manuscript and printed material. The material was formerly bound into a volume which is now shelved in a separate author/alphabetical sequence following the main sequence of Miscellaneous Letters.
Scope and Content
Administrative / Biographical History
Sir George Thomas Smart (1776-1867), the royal musician and orchestral conductor. For fuller details of his life and achievements see the Dictionary of National Biography.
Conditions Governing Access
Access is unrestricted.
From the library of Lord Brotherton.
Other Finding Aids
The letters are listed in the Letters database http://www.leeds.ac.uk/library/spcoll/letters/letlink.htm#smart