Lawrence Pitkethly, d 1858, was a shopkeeper from Huddersfield. He was Chartist sympathiser and a man who devoted a large part of his time supporting the fight for a shorter working day for factory workers. He also visited America in 1842 and on his return founded the British Emigrants' Mutual Aid Society to acquire land for a colony in the West of America.
Correspondence of Lawrence Pitkethly
- For more information, email the repository
- Cite this description https://archiveshub.jisc.ac.uk/data/gb1499-roc/roc/16/49
- This material is held at
- ReferenceGB 1499 ROC/16/49
- Dates of Creation1833-1835
- Physical Description4 items