The records are divided as follows:
- Correspondence and Papers [BP.C&P and BP 1].
- Schools and Charities [BP.Sch].
- Recusant Returns [BP.Rec.Ret].
- Schola Archiepiscopi [BP.Sch.Arch].
- Operation Firm Faith [BP.FF].
- Benefice Papers [BP.Adv, BP.Aug and BP.G].
- Volumes relating to the state of the diocese [BP.Dio].
- Records of Provincial Administration [BP 2/PROV].
- Records of Diocesan Administration [BP 2/DIO, BP.CF, BP.CFM and BP.Parish].
- Overseas Visits [BP 6].
In addition to the above, there are 213 boxes of unlisted material, including (but not restricted to) General Synod minutes, archbishops' messengers, Pilgrim Trust papers, Church Army papers, liturgical commissions, notes on canon law revision, New English Bible committee papers, training colleges, nuclear disarmament correspondence, anti-apartheid movement correspondence, Lambeth Conference papers, British Council of Churches papers, and correspondence regarding the archbishops' patronage of various societies. It is envisaged that many of these unlisted records will eventually be amalgamated with existing series.