Black and white photograph of a tracing of a design for a book cover [by May Morris]. Three sections of the design are completed, the bottom half of each cover and the spine, which are very stylised flower and leaf motifs with the effect of growing organically, but in symmetry. There is also a simple Celtic style spiral in the bottom left corner. The design is made up of lines of dots (possibly perforations). There are dark rubbing markings on the sections of the page which are worked on. The photograph is pasted on a page along with YYY/7/164/1. The object was held and photographed at the Bodleian Library, Oxford University. The photographs were taken during research by Elizabeth Masterman, for her book on May Morris. The text on the page adjacent to the photograph reads ' 'Water Babies' /pounced tracing / [?was top inverted / reflection of bottom?]'.
- For more information, email the repository
- Cite this description https://archiveshub.jisc.ac.uk/data/gb106-7mmo/7mmo/1/163
- This material is held at
- ReferenceGB 106 7MMO/1/163
- Former ReferenceGB 106 CM Object/ 7/MMO/1/163
- Dates of CreationNov 1982
- Physical Description1 object
Scope and Content
Physical Characteristics and/or Technical Requirements
Production method: gelatin silver print.