Comprises autograph manuscript notes and drafts, with some corrected typescript, compiled by Morley Roberts for his book on W.H. Hudson, published as W.H Hudson: A Portrait.
Autograph manuscript by Morley Roberts for his book on W.H. Hudson, together with a manuscript notebook
- For more information, email the repository
- Advice on accessing these materials
- Cite this description
- This material is held at
- ReferenceGB 206 Brotherton Collection MS 20c Hudson
- Dates of Creationca. 1922-1924
- Name of Creator
- Language of MaterialEnglish
- Physical Description1 folder, holding 1 envelope containing 123 ff. and 1 notebook containing 41 ff.; manuscript and typescript. The manuscript is foliated in pencil as follows, 1-7, 18-84, 84a, 85-132, but does not appear to be arranged in any particular order, so that it may not be complete. Some folios contain old typescript on their versos, but other versos continue the main manuscript text. Folio 1r contains manuscript notes entitled 'with H.[Hudson?] at W's. 31.10.21.' written on notepaper headed 'Authors' Club, 2, Whitehall Court, S.W.1', and folio 2r is a draft of a contents page for the manuscript listed under 17 headings, but qualified by the bracketed note 'First sketch of'. The notebook is bound in black cloth and written in pencil with 25 leaves foliated 1-25 and the remaining 16 loose leaves foliated L1-16.
Scope and Content
Administrative / Biographical History
Morley Roberts (1857-1942), the novelist and journalist, published a biography of William Henry Hudson (1841-1922), the naturalist and writer, in 1924. For fuller details of Robert's life and achievements see Who was who, Vol.4.
Access is unrestricted.
The gift of Storm Jameson to the Brotherton Library, probably soon after 1943.