2 photocopied letters about the death of Flag Commander R.O.B. Bridgeman, one by Lieutenant Moon who accompanied him (1917); photocopied obituary (1917); photocopied newspaper cutting about the Bridgeman family (nd); 31 photographs copied from the photograph album "East Africa Campaign May 1916-Jan 1917", with captions and negatives (1916-1917); 3 photocopied photographs [1916-1917].
Richard Bridgeman papers
- For more information, email the repository
- Advice on accessing these materials
- Cite this description https://archiveshub.jisc.ac.uk/data/gb206-liddlecollectionafe05
- This material is held at
- ReferenceGB 206 Liddle Collection AFE 05
- Dates of Creation1916-1917
- Name of Creator
- Language of MaterialEnglish
- Physical Description1 file; manuscript, photographs, and press cuttings (all photocopy)
Scope and Content
Administrative / Biographical History
Richard Orlando Beaconsfield Bridgeman (1879-1917), the second son of the 4th earl of Bradford, as Flag Commander, RN (Royal Navy) was involved in the bombardment of Dar-es-Salaam and other RN operations, including that against the German Ship 'Koenigsberg', in East Africa. He was killed in January 1917 after an accident in a seaplane over the Rufiji Delta.
Conditions Governing Access
Access is unrestricted.
Copies of the papers were placed in the Collection by T. Fletcher in 1986. See Research Correspondence File; under Fletcher and Weston Park.
Other Finding Aids
East Africa catalogue; Air catalogue http://www.leeds.ac.uk/library/spcoll/liddle/index.htm
Alternative Form Available
Microfilmed. The original photograph album is in the possession of West Park Trust, Bridgeman family estate.