Comprises: (1) Ff. 1v-2r: list of books in a library; (2) Ff. 3r-16v: 9 English poems, largely on affairs of state, including items by Halifax, Milbourne, Pope, and Bold, apparently in the hand of Richard Bowater; (3) Ff. 17v-18r: copies of 5 business letters by Bowater, dated 16 August 1718-11 March 1724; (5) F. 19r is headed 'Gentlemens and Ladies Institute', and bears the names of 6 members, all inked out but legible; (6) From f. 19v to f. 33 the volume is reversed and contains copies of receipts, accounts, and business letters of Richard Bowater, concerning cotton and sugar trade with New England and the Caribbean, dated 26 November 1717 to 5 May 1725.
Commonplace-book of Richard Bowater, containing English poems, a library catalogue, and business accounts and correspondence
- For more information, email the repository
- Advice on accessing these materials
- Cite this description
- This material is held at
- ReferenceGB 206 Brotherton Collection MS Lt q 40
- Dates of Creation1694-1725
- Name of Creator
- Language of MaterialEnglish
- Physical Description1 vol. (33 ff.), folio, manuscript. Bound in worn contemporary calf with some blind tooling. 39 leaves have been removed from between ff. 18 and 19 of the present foliation, stubs remaining. F. 1r reads 'Anno Domini 1694'. F. 2v is blank, as are ff. 4v, 11v, 17r, 18v, 23v, 27r, 28r, 30v, 31v, and 33v. Probably in a single hand.
Scope and Content
Administrative / Biographical History
Richard Bowater is not otherwise known.
Conditions Governing Access
Access is unrestricted.
Purchased at Christie's, 30 January 1980, lot 33.
Other Finding Aids
The poems are indexed in the BCMSV database http://www.leeds.ac.uk/library/spcoll/bcmsv/bcmvlink.htm#bcltq40