Hand-drawn and coloured plates.
Panorama of the Yangtse [Yangzi River] from Chungking [Chongqing] to I-ch'ang [Ichang, Yichang], intended to show navigational conditions on the river, commissioned by the East Szechuan [Sichuan] Military Command
- For more information, email the repository
- Advice on accessing these materials
- Cite this description
- This material is held at
- ReferenceGB 102 CWML MSS/502
- Dates of Creation
- Language of MaterialChinese
- Physical Description52 plates
Scope and Content
Administrative / Biographical History
The Yangzi River has for centuries been an important conduit for goods and people travelling in inland China. In the late nineteenth century, as foreign maritime trade with China grew, the Yangzi River also became essential to foreign trading ambitions in China.