Minute books of the National Peace Council, Executive and Finance committees; annual reports; NPC print material, including 'Peace Year Book'; and papers relating to the London Council for the Prevention of War and the United World Education and Research Trust.
National Peace Council
- For more information, email the repository
- Advice on accessing these materials
- Cite this description
Scope and Content
Administrative / Biographical History
The National Peace Council was founded in 1908, after the 17th Universal Peace Congress in London. It brings together representatives of numerous national voluntary organisations with a common interest in peace, disarmament and international and race relations. The primary functions of the NPC are to provide opportunities for consultation and joint activities between its affiliated members, to help create an informed public opinion on the issues of the day, and to convey to the government of the day the views of the substantial section of British life represented by its affiliated membership.
This collection is arranged in 20 sections:
1. Council Minutes, 1908-1950.
2. Executive Committee Minutes, 1916-1949.
3. Finance Sub-committee Minutes, 1918-1923.
4. Cash Books and Ledgers, 1923-1943.
5. Donations Journals, 1945-1950.
6. London Council for the Prevention of War, 1926-1932.
7. National Peace Council Annual Reports, 1914-1973.
8. Council Minutes, 1950-1967.
9. Executive Committee Minutes, 1949-1973.
10. International Cooperation Year, 1963-1967.
11. NPC Miscellaneous, 1933-1975.
12. Papers concerning the United World Education and Research Trust, 1956-1973.
13. NPC Print: Peace Year Book, 1910-1957.
14. NPC Print: Serial Pamphlets, 1927-1929.
15. NPC Print: Serials, 1913-1975.
16. NPC Print: Miscellaneous, 1920-1959.
17. Non-NPC Print: 1869-1959.
18. Executive Committee Minutes, 1970-1986.
19. Council Minutes, 1970-1984.
20. National Peace Council Annual Reports, 1981-1991.
Other Finding Aids
Printed handlist and online catalogue available.
Output from CAIRS using template 14 and checked by hand on May 29, 2002
Conditions Governing Use
COPYRIGHT IS HELD BY THE DONOR