- Memorandum and articles of association 1946;
- Certificate of incorporation 1946;
- Partnership agreements 1869-1878;
- Minutes of managing body 1872-1963;
- Records relating to members meetings 1956;
- Directors' annual reports and accounts to shareholders 1956;
- Committee minutes and related papers 1955-1960;
- Shareholding records 1911-1960;
- Letterbooks 1880-1960;
- Financial records 1869-1960;
- Production records 1913-1960;
- Appointments and contracts of employment 1946-1960;
- Salaries and wages records 1912-1960;
- Licensed premises records 1905-1959;
- Photographs 1914-1930s.
Records of J & J Morison Ltd, brewers, Edinburgh, Scotland
Scope and Content
Administrative / Biographical History
The Commercial Brewery, 160 Canongate, Edinburgh, Scotland , was founded in 1868 and was operated by Morison & Thomson until 1877 when it was acquired by J & J Morison. J & J Morison Ltd was registered in November 1946 as a limited liability company to acquire the business of the same name from the trustees of the sole proprietor, J Morison Inches . In 1960 the company was taken over by Scottish Brewers Ltd , Edinburgh, and ceased to brew.
The material is arranged according to the Scottish Brewing Archive classification scheme used within all SBA collections.
Conditions Governing Access
Deposited by Scottish & Newcastle plc, 1983
Other Finding Aids
File level list available in searchroom
Alternative Form Available
No known copies
Conditions Governing Use
Applications for permission to quote should be sent to the Archivist
Reproduction subject to usual conditions: educational use & condition of documents
This material has been appraised in line with standard GB 0248 procedures
The collection was previously stored with the rest of the Scottish Brewing Archive at Heriot-Watt University. It moved to the University of Glasgow in 1991.Custody of the Scottish Brewing Archive was transferred to Glasgow University Archive Services in 2008.
No known publications using this material
This material is original
Fonds level description compiled by Natalie Milne, Archive Assistant (Hub), 7 November 2001. Catalogue converted to Encoded Archival Description, 8 June 2005. Catalogue revised by Wiebke Redlich, Archive Assistant (Hub), 23 January 2002; Emma Yan, Assistant Archivist, 12 December 2008; and Michelle Kaye, Archives Assistant, 10 May 2012.