Contains an account of a tour of France, Belgium, and Holland from London, between Wednesday 1 May 1700 and Wednesday 25 September 1700, being incomplete at the end. The names of many public figures, including William Congreve, appear in the text of the narrative.
Anonymous diary of an early eighteenth-century Englishman's travels through France, Belgium, and Holland
- For more information, email the repository
- Advice on accessing these materials
- Cite this description
- This material is held at
- ReferenceGB 206 Brotherton Collection MS Trv 4
- Dates of Creation1700
- Name of Creator
- Language of MaterialEnglish
- Physical Description1 vol. (112 ff.), manuscript. Probably written in a single early eighteenth-century hand. Loosely bound up into gatherings, without boards, and somewhat mutilated and worn.
Scope and Content
Administrative / Biographical History
The writer of this manuscript is unknown.
Access is unrestricted.
Purchased from Sotheby's on 8 January 1988.
See D.F. McKenzie, "William Congreve in Dutch (1695) and his travels abroad (1700)", The Library, 6th series, 21, pp.67-70.