Comprises 17 autograph letters from Francis Osborne, 5th Duke of Leeds, to his father, Thomas Osborne, 4th Duke of Leeds, dated 6 August 1769 - 1 November 1783 (with transcripts), and 4 separate English literary manuscripts, three of them being his autograph transcripts of scenes from Cymbeline and The Beaux' Stratagem. These comprise: (1) Cymbeline, Act 3, Scene 3, lines 1-26 and 44-78, entitled 'Bellarius' (sic); (2) Many of Archer's lines in The Beaux' Stratagem, Act 1 (with cues); (3) Many of Aimwell's lines in the same play and act (with cues); (4) An unidentified literary piece entitled 'The Peasants, & the Amtmann' concerning the appointment of a new parson to an unnamed country village church.
Letters from Francis Osborne to his father, Thomas Osborne, 4th Duke of Leeds, with related literary material
- For more information, email the repository
- Advice on accessing these materials
- Cite this description
- This material is held at
- ReferenceGB 206 Brotherton Collection MS Misc. Letters 1 Osborne (4)
- Dates of Creation1769-1783
- Name of Creator
- Language of MaterialEnglish
- Physical Description17 letters and 4 literary pieces, held in 2 envelopes, manuscript. The material was formerly bound into a volume containing also transcripts of the letters, which is now shelved in a separate author/alphabetical sequence following the main sequence of Miscellaneous Letters.
Scope and Content
Administrative / Biographical History
Francis Godolphin Osborne (1751-1799), a politician, became 5th Duke of Leeds and was very conversant with English dramatic literature. His father, Thomas Osborne (1713-1789), was the 4th Duke of Leeds.
Access is unrestricted.
From the library of Lord Brotherton.