The collection includes correspondence; papers relating to Napoleon III; papers relating to the Morning Post; diaries, 1851-94; and family correspondence and papers, including papers of Vitale de Michele (1848-1906), civil engineer and inventor.
Papers of Charles Eastland de Michele
- For more information, email the repository
- Advice on accessing these materials
- Cite this description https://archiveshub.jisc.ac.uk/data/gb161-mss.eng.lett.c.667-86;eng.misc.b.431,c.884-7,d.1287,e.1401-45,f.855-6;photogr.c.2,d.1,g.1
- This material is held at
- ReferenceGB 161 MSS. Eng. lett. c. 667-86; Eng. misc. b. 431, c. 884-7, d. 1287, e. 1401-45, f. 855-6; Photogr. c. 2, d. 1, g. 1
- Dates of Creation18th-20th century
- Language of MaterialEnglish.
- Physical Description76 shelfmarks
Scope and Content
Administrative / Biographical History
Charles Eastland de Michele (1810-1898) was editor of the Morning Post, ca. 1834-44, and British Consul at St. Petersburg, 1849-54 and 1856-66.
Conditions Governing Access
Entry to read in the Library is permitted only on presentation of a valid reader's card (for admissions procedures see http://www.bodleian.ox.ac.uk/specialcollections).
The bulk of the papers was bequeathed to the Library by Beatrice Isabella Dorothy Torburn, great grand-daughter of de Michele, 1984. MSS. Eng. lett. c. 678, c. 681, and some miscellaneous papers, were bought from Alicia Boyle and Patricia Hutchins in 1985.
Collection level description created by Emily Tarrant, Department of Special Collections and Western Manuscripts.
Other Finding Aids
A catalogue of the collection is available online at http://www.bodleian.ox.ac.uk/specialcollectionswmss/online/online.htm.