- Publications and documents regarding agriculture, 1794- 1996
- Pamphlets, 1972
- Publications regarding Scottish farms, 1874- 1977
- HMSO reports, 1907- 1912
- University of Glasgow exam book, c 1950s
- Videotape, Apr 1983
- Correspondence, c 1924- 1982
- Newspaper cuttings, c 1940s- 1963
- Communist Party documents, 1948- 1955
- Handwritten notes, c 1930s- 1950s
- Typed documents, c 1931- 1942
- School award, c 1931- 1932
- Cash book, 1939- 1943
- Photograph, c 1950s
- Personal papers, c 1954- 1982
- The Highlands and Islands Development Board documents, 1963- 1991
- The Scottish Labour History Society documents, 1969- 1971
- Croft forms, 1986
- Scottish Committee of the Communist Party documents, 1956- 1958
- Secretariat minutes, c 1950s
- University awards and degree documents, 1938- 1958
- Committee on Agriculture minutes, 1968
- Scottish Milk Marketing Board documents, 1956- 1971
- The National Farmers Union of Scotland correspondence, 1960- 1969
- Miscellaneous documents and letters, 1700s- 1996
- Miscellaneous NOA reports, c 20th century
- Documents regarding local government, 1670- 1867
- Miscellaneous notes and figures, 1636- 1814
- The Scottish Farm Servants Section documents, c 20th century
- Economics Department documents, c 20th century
- Strath of Kildonan Survey, 1966- 1968
- Student lists, 1949- 1960s
Papers of Professor George Frederick Barclay Houston, 1920-1996, Professor of Political Economics, University of Glasgow, Scotland
- For more information, email the repository
- Advice on accessing these materials
- Cite this description
- This material is held at
- ReferenceGB 248 ACCN 3080; ACCN 2477; ACCN 2193
- Dates of Creation1636-1996
- Name of Creator
- Language of MaterialEnglish
- Physical Description0.25 linear metres
Scope and Content
Administrative / Biographical History
George Frederick Barclay Houston was born on 26 October 1920. After receiving his Honours degree from the University of Edinburgh in 1949, he attended Balliol College, Oxford, where he gained a BLitt. His time at the University of Edinburgh was interrupted by World War II where Houston was imprisoned in Wormwood Scrubs for being a conscientious objector.
Houston joined the staff of the University of Glasgow's Political Economy department in 1951, and remained at the University until his retirement in 1984, however he remained in the department working part-time and eventually became Senior Research Fellow. He was appointed titular Professor of Political Economics in 1970.
Houston also became an active member of the Scottish Communist Party, and worked closely with The Scottish Farmers Union, The Milk Marketing Board, and the Highlands and Islands Development Board. His research interests mainly concerned agricultural policy, particularly marketing and Scottish agrarian history.
Professor Houston passed away on 21 October 1996.
Listed by box. Items are generally listed in their original order.
Conditions Governing Access
Open, subject to the Data Protection Act 1998
Deposit: Steve Connelly: July 2007: ACCN 3080
Gift: Dr Donald McQueen: Nov 2003: ACCN 2477
Gift: Mrs Houston: Apr 2002: ACCN 2193
ACCN 3080 Collection box listed by Alma Topen, Senior Archivist, 7 Sep 2007. Collection level description created by Jennifer Turner, Assistant Archivist, 24 Jan 2013.
ACCN 2477 Collection box listed by Laura Stevens, Assistant Archivist, 24 Jul 2009. Collection level description created by Jennifer Turner, Assistant Archivist, 24 Jan 2013.
ACCN 2193 Collection box listed in 2007. Collection level description created by Jennifer Turner, Assistant Archivist, 24 Jan 2013.
This collection will be catalogued as UGC 106 at a later date.
Other Finding Aids
tags: File list available by request to the Duty Archivist