Comprises volumes of newspaper and journal cuttings, correspondence, pamphlets, posters and prints etc., compiled by Albert Owen Evans relating to his life and work, including material on religious affairs including the Anglican Church and the Welsh language, 1888-1937. Also includes a catalogue of A.O.E.'s library and notes and correspondence etc., relating to his published work on Edmund Prys and A chapter in the history of the Welsh Book of Common Prayer (1922).
Albert Owen Evans Papers
- This material is held at
- ReferenceGB 222 BMSS AOE
- Dates of Creation1888 - 1937
- Name of Creator
- Language of MaterialEnglish, and Welsh.
- Physical Description8 items
Scope and Content
Administrative / Biographical History
Albert Owen Evans (1864 - 1937), Archdeacon of Bangor from 1921 to 1937, was born in Caernarfon, north Wales. He was headmaster at St Asaph until 1893, entered St David's College, Lampeter in 1894 and was ordained priest in 1899. He became Diocesan Inspector of Schools for the Diocese of Bangor in 1899 and Archdeacon of Bangor two years later. His published works include:
- Gofyniadau ac atebion i blant yr Eglwys ar fywyd Abraham: gyda rhan o'sr catecism hyd ddiwedd y dyledswyddau(1905)
- Minutes and Proceedings of an Old Tract Society of Bangor Diocese, 1804-1812(1918)
- A chapter in the history of the Welsh Book of Common Prayer (1922)
- Edmund Prys, Archdeacon of Merioneth, priest preacher, poet, 1544-1623 (1924)
- Thomas A Kempis and Wales (1932)
- The Church in Wales and the National Eisteddfod: a sermon ... at Christ Church(1935)
- A few episcopal visitation queries, with a short introduction by Albert Owen Evans(1937)
Material was received on separate occasions, arranged in chronological order and incorporated into the General Collection of Bangor Manuscripts .
Conditions Governing Access
Open to all users
Description compiled by Anne Lenaghan, May 2002.
Other Finding Aids
Item level word-processed list is available at the Archives Department, University of Wales, Bangor. Reference numbers: General Collection of Bangor Manuscripts: 1229, 8711, 15495-15496, f 36413-f 36416
Conditions Governing Use
Usual copyright conditions apply. Reprographics are made at the discretion of the Archivist.